This is the next layer of the linocut. I think that I will add one more color to this, either yellow, red or orange....we'll see. I think that color will be the last layer.
This is the third layer of my new blockheads linocut
Here is another Blockheads print in progress. Only two colors have been printed. There may be as many as three more. It also is 12” x 16”. I continue to use Caligo inks and am happy with the results but they take forever to dry.Read More
NEW PORCELAIN PEDIMENT
This is the third Linocut in the Blockheads series. It is crisper and cleaner than the others in the series. I am getting better at registration. The color scheme here also is a little more nuanced. There are five separate colors. I cut a block for a fifth color but it seemed like too much information. The print is 12" x 16" on Masa paper. I'm not certain how large the edition will be - I have to look at them all carefully - but it will probably be at least 10 prints.
I have been working on two pieces for a while, a waste block linoleum cut ( the next in the blockheads series) and another "Studies" of imaginary vases linocut.
The reduction linocut, Blockheads, is very close to finished. I just cut the block for the last color. I have been waiting for the ink to dry between each printing and the drying has taken longer than expected. The last Blockheads linocut still remained tacky for a while even after it had been completed for at least a week. This type of slow progress is very different from the more immediate results that comes from monoprints. I know I do not like the lack of production but I have enjoyed learning in the waste block process - my technical skills are growing with each new print.
The other print I am working on is a one-color vase study and it is almost completed. The images included in this blog are definitely works in progress. I shot this image early in the morning with the block covered with tools and crumbs. This print should be completed soon.
One interesting technical observation is that the two linoleums are from different companies. One is harder, the other softer to cut. I'm still thinking about the advantages of one verses the other. The blockheads are on an inch high block that most easily works with the letter press at Zea MAys where I print them. The thinner block is printed at home the old-fashioned rubbing by hand method that seems to be more reliable than using a studio press. The mounted blocks are expensive but easier to print multi colors. The unmounted blocks are more difficult to register for more than one color.
This is a large vase and flower study, pen and ink on paper. 40 images on 36" x 22" paper.
This is a mixed media "Vessel Studies" drawing. It has a number of layers using inks and acrylics.
RBG is a documentary about Ruth Bader Ginsburg. While watching the film, we couldn't help but notice that she and her granddaughter were using my cups! There were a couple of other shots with a cup included. (It would be great to get a still or a video clip from the film.) She bought 10 cups from me at the Smithsonian Craft Show in the early 2000s, and it was nice to see that she is still using them!
Here are two images of some of my cups:
Over the past few weeks there have been some improvements in our studio space. Frank decided to paint the floor, and we also painted the window trim. It is a much nicer, cleaner looking space now. Great idea, Frank!
You can see in one of the photos that we are getting closer to having our tile mural ready to install in a peak on the outside of our house.
I have started to make linoleum blocks. Again. I made many of these a long time ago but when I was introduced to printmaking the method of making prints was trace prints and monoprints.
The subject matter in lino-cuts has been Blockheads but the picture included, showing me at work in my studio, is one of my imaginary vessel studies.