Here are a number of cups that started out as a commission, specifically to match cups to an animal teapot. The first ones were too large but I eventually got the right size. These are around four inches high and are deeply grooved/sculpted enabling a good grip. They just have underglaze on the exterior and glazed interiors. Handbuilt, one of a kind, handle-less. The third picture shows the difference between the largest and the smaller sets. I expect that I may be making more of them.
We cleaned up the studio and had the time to take a few hasty photographs of the work. Here are a few images of the set up:
It may seem as if the only thing I am working on lately is Prints. I have been making some new small items for the upcoming sale in clay: tiles, cups etc. but haven’t bothered to take pictures of them yet. But working and making ceramics and prints are happening at the same time. While I am busy completing work for the sale, I am also beginning to do mundane tasks like sweeping, and will soon bring in bases to set things up. I do not think that the studio will be as elaborately set up as we do for the Asparagus Valley show. Every year is different.
The following are two versions of a linocut, the first uses two blocks and the second just one. The third image is a collage. The pink paper is a sheet that was made for a print that was never completed. The surface has subtle markings, texture and color changes. The subject matter in these is imaginary vases and vessels. Each sheet has 24 images. The print is 21” x 28”. The collage is 30” x 22”.
The following images come from the same photo shoot. It is good to see the variety and development of this these. Thanks to Francine, the photographer.
Here is a random assortment of the Blockheads linocuts. Some of these images have appeared on the Blog before but it is good to see them next to each other.
I am at a technical dead end here. I wanted to insert a portfolio of images but can only insert one image at a time. Difficult to do and choose. But I’ll eventually figure it out.
If photo sessions do anything, it surely is satisfying to see an entire body of work spread out in an organized way. Development, change, direction all become more obvious.
One reason for the effort is putting together a group of files for the Zea Mays flat file due in early December. I feel ahead of the game in this for once and the images look pretty good (thank you Francine). Some pieces are more difficult than others though such as the ones whose surfaces are reflective or shiny.
A number of the Blockheads series of prints were photographed yesterday. Most of them turned out to be of good quality. It was good to see the growth in technique and concept. Seen as a whole, I could see that the initial idea has developed and I am starting to get a comfortable familiarity with the theme and its possibilities.
This is a variation on the Blockhead theme but constructed horizontally. Rather than using a sgrafitto technique on the walls of the piece, I used old Lino Blocks to make impressions on the wet clay before using the slabs to make the pieces. I didn’t have a specific use in mind but the pieces could definitely be used for flower arrangements (with a wire support) or for fruit etc. centerpiece.
These pieces are a lot more spontaneous to make. I don’t have to carefully make and choose particularly shaped images to fit the edges anad planes of the piece but instead make a slab that has a particular texture/set of images that can be used almost like a decorated/patterned fabric.
This plate came out of the last firing, photographed by John Polak. This plate combines sgraffito technique for the rim, glaze and underglaze painting for the imagery. I’ve used a bigger variety in color and shape.
Here is another example of both of our works together that wil be used for upcoming publicity for the Pottery Trail
Here are more pieces from the “Blockhead” series. A particular type of development is happening, mentioned in the last posting: taller pieces, all black and white, more eccentric shapes, and more variety in body types, more variety in line quality.
As promised, here are some images from our most recent photograph session with John Polak:
Fran and I had some new work photographed by John Polak yesterday. As always it was a great experience - chatting about news, the summer etc. but also being able to see our work through the eyes of a professional. I will be adding photos little by little on this site, spreading out the images.
I chose to have the Blockhead ceramics photographed. Fran had a new plate photographed. Some of the photos were intended for the upcoming publicity associated with the Pottery Trail. We usually have two of our pieces positioned next to each other either in real space or a cut and paste in a horizontal and vertical format.
One of the images was our traditional “two cups” shot in which two of our cups are juxtaposed as an example of what happens in the studio. I was surprised at how well this worked. We usually use this image for our own sales and publicity.
This is the next layer of the linocut. I think that I will add one more color to this, either yellow, red or orange....we'll see. I think that color will be the last layer.
This is the third layer of my new blockheads linocut